I like mornings. Waking up, stretching out in bed and knowing that anything could happen during the day – that sense of possibility and wonder.
I’m in the process of training myself to reduce my overuse/abuse of the ‘Snooze’ button, so I’ve adopted a new habit instead – the Seven Minute Morning Start-Up. It’s a great way to prepare for the day ahead and consciously set your goals (and mood) for each day. Here’s how:
- As you wake, take three minutes to enjoy the sensation of waking from sleep and to slowly observe each part of your body, from the tips of your toes to the top of your head
- Decide on three words that you want to describe your ideal mood for the day (e.g. Happy, Excited, Friendly, Warm etc) and focus on them for one minute
- Decide on three words that describe how you will constructively handle any challenges if they appear during the day (e.g. Resilient, Positive, Accepting) and focus on them for one minute
- Decide on three positive things that you are going to achieve today and focus on them for one minute
- Finally, choose three words that describe how others are going to perceive you today (e.g. Honest, Supportive, Diplomatic, Fair, Kind etc) and focus on them for one minute
- Get up and start your day!
How do you like to start your day? What works for you? Share your thoughts below!